BlogHer Twitter Influencer

Wednesday 22 February 2023

Christian Conduct and Character - Trying To Be Less Of a Coward

I want to be less of a coward.

christian conduct and character


The Oxford dictionary defines a coward as someone contemptibly lacking the courage to do or endure dangerous or unpleasant things.

Sometimes I feel like a coward.

Another definition:

Cowardice is a trait wherein excessive fear prevents an individual from taking risks or facing danger. It is the opposite of courage. As a label, "cowardice" indicates a failure of character in the face of a challenge. One who succumbs to cowardice is known as a coward.


Christian Conduct and Character - Our Feeling Don't Always Tell the Truth

So why do I want to be less of a coward?

Half the time in my daily life, I feel like a coward, like I should be doing more. Like I could be.


The voice of the Spirit of God calms me down and lets me know all I need to do is represent Him everywhere I go.

 

His counsel keeps me steady.

God calls me light.

He calls me light.

The light of the world.

Hiding is not recommended. 

I should be willing to stand out and just be. 

I don't have to do everything perfectly; I just need to be available.

I may not be able to reach everyone, but I can reach someone.

Suffering should not be enough reason to hide.


Matt 5:14You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden.


Christian Conduct and Character - The Blessing of Opposition

I remember the first time I said I was the light of the world out loud in a public place.

What was the response?

I was told that I was blaspheming.

I don't why the person who told me that did so.

Was it fear, ignorance, or the desire to exclude.

I would never know.

You know, it is possible that she said this because Jesus said "I am the light of the world" In John 8:12.


John 8: 12 Once again, Jesus spoke to the people and said, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life.”


Or because I had not yet qualified to be called light in her eyes. Or maybe she did not think believers who had Jesus living in them could call their selves light.

Or maybe she did not think that Christians should agree with the bible.

At the time, I was very angry and insisted that I was the light of the world because Jesus had said so in the bible. I am now more mature. 


Christian Conduct and Character - Painful Lessons

Today I am no longer angry. I understand better. It is also possible that she is more acquainted with the word of God than in the past.

I understand that doctrines are different.

I understand that many different denominations do not believe that you should meditate on the word of God and affirm it.

I was taught differently.


Christian Conduct and Character - The Blessing of Discipleship

My college pastor taught me to study the word of God and renew my mind daily to God's word.

Although I will still meet others who do not believe that the word of God is for them personally, I pray that Holy Spirit would minister differently to them.

I have learned the hard way that you cannot make another person believe the word of God you believe. 

The best you can do is pray that Holy Spirit ministers truth to them in the area of their need.

As it concerns being less of a coward, I want to speak up more often.

I don't want to use the need to speak up as an excuse to be rude to others. I pray I can speak up in love.


Christian Conduct and Character - Bridling Your Tongue and Speaking Wise Words

The Bible says of the virtuous woman:

Prov 31:26

She openeth her mouth with wisdom; and in her tongue is the law of kindness. KJV

Bold power and glorious majesty are wrapped around her as she laughs with joy over the latter days. Her teachings are filled with wisdom and kindness as loving instruction pours from her lips. TPT

When she speaks she has something worthwhile to say, and she always says it kindly. THE MESSAGE

When she speaks, her words are wise, and kindness is the rule for everything she says. TLB

Her words are sensible, and her advice is thoughtful. CEV

 

Christian Conduct and Character - A prayer for us

I am praying to use my words wisely and for edification. The more my tongue is disciplined, the more valuable my words will be to the LORD.

I pray you will take up this challenge too.

Imagine an army of people yielded and having bridled tongues; what goodness God will be able to do on earth.

So help us, God, in Jesus' name, amen.



No comments: